If you've never seen a "TED Talk", I highly recommend them. They're amazing speeches/presentations given by people who are leaders in their fields. In this link, Sarah Kay rocks the spoken word.
She says that in order to get students inspired to write poetry, she has them write lists. One assignment I've decided to try is "10 Things I Know to Be True."
1. match.com may have cheesy commercials, but it works.
2. "Kids these days" aren't ruining the world. Politicians and religious terrorists are.
3. Dogs are smarter and more empathetic than most humans.
4. Hugh Jackman is a beautiful specimen of a man.
5. Driving in a convertible with the top down is better than any anti-depressant.
6. All high school educations should now include a mandatory course in cell phone etiquette.
7. Night classes should be mandatory for adults who missed that course in high school.
8. You absolutely ought to have to get a permit to be a parent.
9. Chocolate covered strawberries are overpriced and worth every penny.
10. Every day I am more and more grateful for my parents.