Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...


I have shocking news.

There are American teenagers who have never even heard of "The Princess Bride." Never even heard of it!!! I guess this makes sense, since it was released in 1988 and they were born sometime in the 90s, but still. It makes me feel SO old.

Of course, if you say, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." They recognize it, but can't place the reference. That film (the term "movie" just doesn't cut it) has so many quotable moments.

"As you wish." is a favorite... my dad says it to my mom frequently.
"No more rhyming, I mean it!" "Anybody wanna peanut?"
"MAH-WAGE. We ah gavered here today to cewebrate the MAH-WAGE of Pwincess Buddah-cup and Pwince Humperdink." I went to a wedding this past summer where the pastor actually started the ceremony with this! Classic!

Andre the Giant, Billy Crystal, Fred Savage? R-O-U-S-es? The 6-fingered man?
If you don't know "The Princess Bride" you really need to rent it. Now. No, you know what? Buy it. It's the type of movie you'll watch again and again.

1 comment: