Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling

VEGAS, BABY!
Don't see it? It's out there over the wing.


I guess that's not a view most people are accustomed to. The sun actually rises in Las Vegas? Who knew?

Vegas is almost a dirty word. (On a side note- Why do so many dirty words start with V?) It's a place we're only supposed to see at night. Sin City. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Except not all the time. There is that phenomenon that the great sage Sir Jimmy Buffett calls "a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling." The first one that comes to mind is marriage. What is it that makes people get married on a whim? Is it alcohol? Drugs? Do neon lights have some effect I'm unaware of? Generally if you need to be drunk in order to be in love that's a recipe for failure. How did the trend even start? That first chapel and the first Elvis impersonator and the first annulment?

Tattoos? Now that I can understand. I've never been able to think of something I wanted on my body permanently, but with enough alcohol I'm sure I could come up with something. Thank goodness my most recent trip didn't take me to a tattoo parlor, eh? (Mom, you can breathe now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment